Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April and Time for Poetry

Here it is, already April again, National Poetry Month, and time to write a poem every day for 30 days. I have friends who write a poem every day, almost every month. They are prolific. I am not. But here is a poem for the first day of the heartbreaking month of April. Heartbreaking because it cleaves the world.

It’s early April                    windy
and the pine cones                          are falling
from the trees                      the leaves
are rushing back and forth across
the lawn              and the little
dog        is nervous                           between
a bark and howl                he can’t decide
I’m of two           minds
myself   unable
to let go
of the dark that came before
so that I can        take hold
of the light          that’s on its way

No comments:

Post a Comment